Moving Checklist – What to do Before you Move
Two months before moving
- Sort through your belongings to reduce the number of things to move.
- Have a garage sale or donate items you no longer need.
- Decide whether to move yourself or hire professionals.
- Make reservations with a moving company or truck rental company. Tip: Call three companies for estimates to compare.
- Gather packing supplies: boxes, packing material, tape, felt markers, and scissors.
- If you’re moving a long distance, make travel arrangements with the airline, hotel, and rental car agency.
- If you’re driving to your new home, get maps and plan your travel route.
- Save all moving receipts. Some moving expenses are tax deductible. Check the current tax code for requirements.
- Place your legal, medical, financial, and insurance records in a safe and accessible place.
- Purchase insurance coverage for valuables to be moved.
One month before moving
- Start packing items that aren’t regularly used such as off-season clothes and decorations and items in storage areas (garage, attic, and closets).
- Make travel arrangements for your pets.
- If you’re driving, get your car tuned up.
- Get medical records from your doctors, dentist, optometrist, and veterinarian.
- Send items (rugs, drapes, clothing, quilts, bedding) to the cleaners.
- Back up important computer files
Two weeks before moving
- Contact your utility companies and notify them of your move.
- Sign up for services at your new address.
- Contact your long distance phone company and notify them of your move.
- Call friends and family and recruit help for the moving day.
- Confirm your travel reservations.
- Arrange to close or transfer your bank account, if appropriate. Pick up items in your your safety deposit box.
One week before moving
- Pick up items from the cleaners, repair shops, or friends.
- Pack a survival kit of clothes, medicines, special foods, etc. to carry you through the day while you unpack.
- Finish packing all boxes minus what you’ll need in the final week.
- Inform the post office of your upcoming move.
- Send change-of-address cards with your new address and phone number to: Friends and family, Banks, insurance companies, credit card companies, and other financial institutions, Magazines and newspapers, Doctors, lawyers, accountants, realtors, and other service providers, State and federal tax authorities and any other government agencies as needed, Workplace, schools, and alma maters
The day before
- Set aside moving materials, such as tape measure, pocketknife, and rope.
- Pad corners and stairways of house.
- Lay down old sheets in the entry and hallways to protect floor coverings.
- Remove hanging fixtures.
- If you are moving yourself, pick up the rental truck and a dolly to move heavy boxes.
- If you are driving, check oil, tire pressure, and gas in your car.
- If you are flying, make sure you have tickets, charge cards and other essentials
Carry with you:
- The keys to your new home.
- A map of your new town and directions to your home.
- The telephone number of the moving company.
- Cash or traveler’s checks.
- Documentation related to the sale of your home.
- Your insurance policies and agent’s phone number.
- Your current address book or personal planner.
- Prescription and non-prescription medicines.
- Enough clothing to get by if the movers are late.
- Any items of great personal value to you that are virtually irreplaceable.
- Back-up copies of important computer files.
- Sheets, towels and personal hygiene items for the first night in your new home.